The holiday season means plenty of parties, long distance traveling, and no shortage of food.
But when are you supposed to find time for fitness?
It’s not about lengthy, extensive workouts, but finding time to exercise when you can to maintain healthy habits. Here are a few tips for sneaking in a workout between moments of holiday cheer.
Find Fitness Opportunities When You Can
One day of splurging on holiday calories isn’t going to derail your fitness goals, but all the days of treats at parties and work add up. Be mindful of your diet and exercise habits between holiday events and consider the following tips to keep yourself healthy.
- Pick your top treats to indulge in to better control your calorie intake without feeling like you’re missing out.
- Holiday activities like shopping can become the perfect opportunity to add in some exercise. Make another circuit through the stores or find time during work to take a break and take a walk.
- Find a workout buddy or ask a friend to help you stay accountable.
- Don’t stress about a routine or missing a workout. Do what you can even if it’s just a few extra minutes a day. Take the stairs, go for a walk, and take time to stretch during the work day.
Take Fitness on the Road
If you and your family travel during the holidays, it may be difficult to include fitness – but not impossible. Use these easy, on-the-go tricks to keep your fitness routine going even if you don’t have access to a gym.
- Create a mobile workout routine. Basic exercises like push-ups, squats, and jumping jacks can help you make an easy routine you can do wherever.
- Bring a jump rope with you for an easy, portable way to include cardio.
- If your flight is delayed, use the extra time to walk around the airport or climb a few sets of stairs to boost your heart rate.
- Include your family. Change up your holiday traditions to include physical activities instead of eating and sitting inside. Go for a walk or play a game outside if the weather permits.